Studebaker Car Wiring Diagrams above the page.
Studebaker Corporation, the American automaker, head office and factory is located in the American city of South Bend, Indiana (USA). Founded in 1852 and became a corporation in 1868 under the name of the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company, the company was originally a manufacturer of carts and wagons for farmers, miners and the military. In Russia, the known, above all, one of its model - the legendary military truck Studebaker US6. To cease production of cars in 1966.
During the American Civil War (1861-1865 year), the company carries out orders for the supply of the Union army, a large number of wagons and carts. At this time, the firm joined two other brothers, Peter and Jacob, and three years after the Civil War, in 1868, the company gets the name «Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company» (manufactured by Studebaker brothers). Now the company has engaged in the supply of wagons for the mining industry.
In 1902 «Studebaker BMC» built its first 20 crews with the electric drive, thus entered in the automotive world. In 1904 it introduced its first car model class "Gran Turismo" with a two-cylinder internal combustion engine capacity of 16 horsepower, which in 1905 was replaced by a four-cylinder.
In 1910 «Studebaker BMC» acquired company EMF-Company ( «Everitt-Metzger-Flanders»), together with all the production facilities in the city of Detroit (USA) and for some time continued to produce cars under EMF brand.
However, due to the very disloyal attitude of consumers to the brand, which until the merger with Studebaker differed quite enviable quality, in 1912 the company began to produce cars under its own brand.
In the twenties of the twentieth century, Studebaker had production facilities in three cities (in South Bend, Indiana (USA), Detroit, Michigan (USA) and Uolkerville (Canada)) and produced 180 000 cars a year. The company employed 23,000 workers.
As a result of the collapse of financial markets and the subsequent financial crisis behind it (ie. N. The Great Depression), the company began to rapidly lose business. As a result, accumulated debts in the amount of $ 6 million and the inability to settle with the banks (although current assets of the company exceed the sum of credits) president Albert Russel Erskine in 1933, committed suicide. However, by 1935 the company once again came out on profits by designing and releasing new vehicle "Studebaker Champion", which is so like the customers that the company has doubled its sales in 1939.
With the onset of World War II, the company Studebaker production facilities were moved to a war footing: corporation factories going military trucks, aircraft engines and multi-purpose armored vehicles Studebaker Weasel, for the transport of troops and cargo. During the Great Patriotic War to supply the Lend-Lease American allies supplied the USSR about 100 thousand cars of this brand (namely, the Studebaker US6), on the basis of which, including, housed the famous "Katyusha". These deliveries mark "Studebaker" became famous in the Soviet Union, and even got a private nickname "Studer".
After the war, Studebaker again moved to the production of passenger cars. However, rapidly flying up the cost of labor in the United States, labor strikes, and the payment of pensioners (constituting one of the largest in the automotive industry of the USA), as well as starting a price war between Ford, Chrysler and General Motors (Manuals pages) have crippled the financial stability of the company "Studebaker" and caused a big enough damage to its balance sheet. And, even though the company had a large production capacity and strong potential, it could not compete with the giants, have resorted to dumping policy.
In 1949, to ensure competitiveness, Studebaker merged with other brands - Packard, Hudson and Nash (PDF Manuals pages). However, as a result of the merger of all brands, in Studebaker was the unfavorable geographical position the main plant in South Bend, increasing shipping costs and reduced competitiveness.
In the early fifties Studebaker rapidly losing revenue, and by 1956 the company, renamed the Studebaker-Packard Corporation, nearly ruined, though, and continued to produce cars under the brands Studebaker and Packard until 1958. In an effort to overcome the crisis, the company enters into a contract for the supply of components to the aircraft manufacturer Curtiss-Wright, and also sells Chrysler plant Packard. Also, in order to maintain the financial buoyancy, the company acts as importer of European manufacturers Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union AG (automobiles Audi and DKW), selling these brands through its dealer network.
The last Studebaker car at his home in South Bend, was produced by 20 December 1963.
The car factory in Hamilton (Canada) produces cars under the Studebaker brand to March 16, 1966.
For fifty years, Studebaker held a strong position in the US market and to go down in automotive history.
After a 1966 Studebaker and his department in 1967 were purchased by Wagner Electric and merged with the Worthington Corporation to a new corporation - Studebaker-Worthington.
Today Studebaker-Worthington is a division of Bank of Main Street - Kingwood Texas and is engaged in leasing.