Automotive company called Packard was founded in 1899 in Warren, Ohio. The founders of the company have become James Ward Packard with his brother William Daud Packard, and partner of George Lewis Weiss. James Packard believed that they can produce higher quality cars than the company Witon, one of the shareholders of which was George Weiss. As a mechanical engineer by training, Packard decided to improve some previous models of cars.
According to unofficial data, Packard acquired one of Wheaton cars and was unhappy with the purchase. Their complaints and suggestions of ways to solve them, he stated in a letter to the director Alexander Witon Wheaton. However, Mr. Wheaton offended by such comments about their products, saying that Packard is unlikely to build a better vehicle. Packard answer was not long in coming: cars ahead of him Wheaton for many decades. His first project, James launched November 6, 1899 in the city of Warren.
In September of 1900 was registered The Ohio Automobile Company, while the machine went out under the name Packard. Since the products of the company soon gained an excellent reputation, and the cars have gained popularity, October 13, 1902 The Ohio Automobile Company evolved into The Packard Motor Car Company.
Already in the early years and even months of its existence the company Packard introduced a number of innovations. First they dealt with modern vehicles, and years later, The Packard Motor Car Company pioneered the use of the 12-cylinder engine, although up until 1903 all cars Packard had under the hood of single-cylinder engine.
While prices for the remaining cars were 500-1500 dollars Packard machines cost from 2600 conventional units. These were luxury cars for wealthy people from the US and other countries.
For example, Henry Bourne Joy, a member of one of the oldest and wealthiest families in Detroit, went to the Packard. Being under the influence of his new vehicle, Mr. Joy visited the factory and attracted a number of investors, including Truman Handy Newberry and Russell Jr. Elgar. Alger Jr. and all began to occupy the post of vice-president of the company. After transferring production in Detroit, Joey took the place of the general director, and later - Chairman of the Board. President of The Packard Motor Car Company remained James Packard.
The new plant is located in the territory of Packard Avenue East Grand on 35 acres of land. The plant was designed by Albert Kahn, who for the first time in Detroit used reinforced concrete in the construction industry. In 1903, at the opening of the plant was recognized as the most modern car factory in the world. Masters, working there, had a total of 80 different specialties. This plant is in a very poor condition still stands in Detroit, despite numerous fires. Cannes architect also designed the site for Packard in the city of Utica, Michigan.
From the beginning to the very end, Packard always competed on the market with the most expensive car of the USA. Packard Company is often ranked among the so-called "Triple II", which also included the company Pierce-Arrow in Buffalo, NY, and Peerless of Cleveland, Ohio.
The end of World War II, the company has met in an excellent financial position, but there were some miscalculations leadership that have become visible over time. The campaign began production in 1946 with the restyling of the pre-war models in 1942. Although the post-war Packard sales were high, erased the line between expensive and the average price of cars. Prices are more or less flat. The Packard decided to bet on cheap cars, and tried to win the tender for the provision of urban car park and a taxi (the company was trying to secure the volume of sales in the years ahead), however, they failed because they do not have the capacity to produce such a large number of products.
After these steps, the company lost the name of Packard's luxury brand, and to find enough buyers for Medium vehicles to cover all the losses, the enterprise managers are not able to. Not on hand was played by the campaign and the lack of raw materials after the war. However, if the factories Packard continues to produce cars Class "luxury", the problems with raw materials would not arise.
This left the market, Packard expensive "through the back door" car. The new model 1948, which replaced the Clippers model had some features of the old model and something of the former luster of luxury. To build a new model used only the best materials and craftsmen. After the release of the new series, the company president, George Christopher, said the new car will be updated and released in 1951, but under the influence of strikes Christopher left his post. It took treasurer Hugh Ferry.
In 50-ies of independent companies united by understanding that they would not otherwise stay on the market, so Packard Company acquired Studebaker. However, the purchase turned out to be unprofitable, as the Studebaker cars do not meet the requirements of the then market. New Packard same development were restyling of old cars. Sales were less than before, so Packard Company management decided to win "luxury" class car market through the issuance of Caribbean and Patrician model 400 Sedan.
In 1955 the company produced another model class "luxury", which is a processed version of the old, but by the time the market for luxury cars is staked Cadillac and Lincoln. Lower quality automatic transmission and other equipment are also badly affected sales. The models in 1958 were as unsuccessful as there are models of the two previous years. They are not produced in series and have been the last gasp of the company, which once produced the most luxurious cars of the USA.
According to official data, the original Packard remained only two in the world: one car is situated in Lehigh University in Pennsylvania (a kind Packard tribute to his alma mater), and the second copy on display at the Museum in Warren Packard.